Governance & Compliance Officer
Job no: 509709
Work type: Full time
Location: Sydney, NSW
Categories: Information Technology
• Permanent role
• Support UNSW IT
• Flexible working arrangements
The Governance & Compliance Officer is responsible for the departmental management, monitoring and reporting on the systems and processes that support governance and compliance within the UNSW Information Technology (UNSWIT) department.
The role is the primary point of contact for all UNSWIT departmental risk, audit and governance matters ensuring that the governance systems and processes established for UNSWIT are aligned with broader UNSW frameworks and coordinating compliance and legislative obligations on behalf of UNSWIT.
A key accountability of the role is to ensure effective and efficient governance and reporting systems, inclusive of regular performance reporting, to assess the overall function on behalf of the Chief Information Officer (CIO).
The role reports to the Executive Officer and provides advice to the CIO.
Specific accountabilities for this role include:
- Develop, implement, and maintain governance systems, tools and processes related to the management of risk, audit, legal compliance, and business continuity to embed a positive compliance and governance culture across the organisation.
- Lead the coordination and departmental responses to UNSW Internal and External Audit activity and maintain tracking and reporting to ensure achievement of management actions to agreed delivery dates.
- Lead UNSWIT participation and reporting for Enterprise and IT Directorate Risk Management processes and provide high level advice and support to UNSWIT Leaders and Managers on risk management practices, ensuring each directorates approach to Risk Management aligns with UNSW policies, procedures and framework.
- Attending and presenting at committee meetings on behalf of the Office of the CIO.
- practices to ensure compliance with business, statutory and legislative obligations.
- Assist with the drafting and submissions of papers, briefs and reports.
- Lead the development and implementation of UNSWIT policies in line with the UNSW Policy Framework and develop frameworks and systems for policy compliance and reporting.
- Develop, implement, and facilitate communication and awareness programs on governance, risk and compliance practices for UNSWIT to achieve ideal business outcomes.
- Collaborate across UNSWIT to develop innovative techniques to report progress on risk and compliance (such as PowerBI dashboards, etc).
- Promote a culture of process and continuous improvement, championing professional standards, innovation, and professional method.
- Supporting the Project Management Office (PMO) with the preparation, submission and tracking of all UNSWIT papers.
Skills and Experience
- Demonstrated experience of governance, risk and compliance frameworks and their application in a complex organisation.
- Demonstrable understanding or experience with applying industry recognised risk management and governance standards i.e. ISO31000, ISO9000 and COBIT5.
- An understanding of qualitive and quantitative risk methodologies to assess and manage risk.
- Experience working in a similar role within an IT organisation would be beneficial to the role but is not required.
- Experience in coordinating compliance audits and anticipating and mitigating emerging issues.
- Demonstrated ability to interpret legislation and implement effective controls within a complex organisation.
- Excellent consultation, influencing and negotiation skills and proven ability to engage effectively with diverse stakeholders to achieve successful outcomes.
Talent Acquisition Consultant
UNSW aspires to be the exemplar Australian university and employer of choice for people from diverse backgrounds. UNSW aims to ensure equality in recruitment, development, retention and promotion of staff, and that no-one is disadvantaged on the basis of their gender, cultural background, disability, sexual orientation or identity. We encourage everyone who meets the selection criteria to apply.
Advertised: AUS Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: AUS Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend