UNSW Canberra is a campus of the University of New South Wales located at the Australian Defence Force Academy in Canberra. UNSW Canberra endeavours to offer staff a rewarding experience and offers many opportunities and attractive benefits, including:
- One of Australia’s leading research and teaching universities
- Strong commitment to staff development and learning
- Strong commitment to work-life and family balance
- Generous superannuation opportunities
At UNSW, we pride ourselves on being a workplace where the best people come to do their best work.
The School of Engineering and Information Technology (SEIT) offers a flexible, friendly working environment that is well-resourced and delivers research-informed education as part of its accredited, globally recognised engineering and computing degrees to its undergraduate students. The school offers programs in electrical, mechanical, aeronautical, and civil engineering as well as in aviation, information technology and cyber security to graduates and professionals who will be Australia’s future technology decision-makers.
This research position will work at the intersection of computational intelligence, simulation, and serious games. The successful applicant will research, design, implement and analyse games/simulations as abstractions of real-world phenomenon – together with the algorithms to play/explore those games/simulations and the decision-spaces they create.
The position will involve research activity in multidisciplinary settings requiring skills that include research, design of experiments, and analysis; programming (in various languages), and communication (writing papers and reports, and giving presentations). The Research Associate will contribute to the development of research results and their publication in international journals, participate at a national and/or international conference/s and undertake a range of teaching duties.
About the Roles:
Role: Research Associate in Modelling
Salary: Academic Level A $98,342 - $105, 185 plus 17% Superannuation
Terms: 1 position Full time, Fixed Term appointment up to 2 years
2 positions Full time, Fixed Term appointments for 6 months
About the Successful Applicants
To be successful in this role you will:
- Hold a PhD degree or equivalent in Computer Science or related discipline;
- A record of papers in high-quality journals and/or conferences of high ranking in the field;
- Demonstrated ability to work as a member of a multi-disciplinary team showing initiative and taking direction as appropriate to the situation.
- A demonstrated ability to design games (physical/board or digital) OR a demonstrated ability to design and implement models and simulations OR a demonstrated ability to design and implement AI algorithms in a multi-agent or simulation/game environment;
- Strong curiosity and the desire to innovate at the intersection of play, simulation and AI;
- A demonstrated ability to conduct experiments with AI algorithms in simulation/game environments, OR a demonstrated ability to conduct experiments in human play of games.
- Experience in developing code in one or more high-level programming languages.
In your application, please upload a 2-page pitch addressing the Skills and Experience outlined in the Position Description. Please clearly state if you have a preference for which position you are applying for.
In order to view the Position Description – please ensure that you allow pop-ups for Jobs@UNSW Portal.
The successful candidate will be required to undertake pre-employment checks prior to commencement in this role. The checks that will be undertaken are listed in the Position Description. You will not be required to provide any further documentation or information regarding the checks until directly requested by UNSW.
The position is located in Canberra, ACT. The successful candidate will be required to work from the UNSW Canberra campus. To be successful you will hold Australian Working Rights or Australian Citizenship. Visa sponsorship is not available for this appointment.
For further information about UNSW Canberra, please visit our website: UNSW Canberra
Michael Barlow, Acting Head of School
P: 02 5114 5278
Applications Close: 20 December 2021 at 11:30PM
Find out more about working at UNSW Canberra
At UNSW Canberra, we celebrate diversity and understand the benefits that inclusion brings to the university. We aim to ensure that our culture, policies, and processes are truly inclusive. We are committed to developing and maintaining a workplace where everyone is valued and respected for who they are and supported in achieving their professional goals. We welcome applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, Women at all levels, Culturally and Linguistically Diverse People, People with Disability, LGBTIQ+ People, people with family and caring responsibilities and people at all stages of their careers. We encourage everyone who meets the selection criteria and shares our commitment to inclusion to apply.
Any questions about the application process - please email firstname.lastname@example.org