Job no: 503163
Work type: Full-time
Location: Sydney, NSW
Categories: Tutor, Post doctoral research fellow, Other
- One of Australia’s leading research & teaching universities
- Vibrant campus life with a strong sense of community & inclusion
- Enjoy a career that makes a difference by collaborating with & learning from the best
At UNSW, we pride ourselves on being a workplace where the best people come to do their best work.
THIS ROLE IS LOCATED IN SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA.
The School of Mathematics and Statistics currently has more than sixty continuing academic staff and more than thirty research staff as well as visiting academics. UNSW is the only university in Australia to be ranked in the top 100 in the world in Mathematics and Statistics by each of the four ranking bodies: CWTS Leiden, ARWU, USNews, QS.
The Teaching Fellow enhances existing links between UNSW Sydney and secondary schools and provides an opportunity for sharing ideas about the circumstances of first year students and approaches to teaching.
The Teaching Fellow will participate in the teaching and research activities in the School as well as providing assistance for course assessment, administration and curriculum development, and outreach activities.
About the role
- $78K - $105K plus 17% Superannuation and annual leave loading
- Fixed term – 12 months
- Full-time (35 hours per week)
The role of Teaching Fellow reports to Director – First Year Studies and has no direct reports.
Specific responsibilities for this role include:
- Deliver mathematics tutorials and other teaching for up to 12 hours per week.
- Carry out teaching related activities as allocated by the Head of School (or delegate_), such as class preparation, administration of relevant records, informal consultation with students, exam supervision, marking assessments, and other coordination duties.
- Depending on intertest and capacity, undertake teaching duties and engage in mathematical research or scholarship
- Assist in course assessment, administration and curriculum development and outreach activities.
- Undertake administrative duties as specified by the Head of School and/or the Director, First Year Studies.
- Align with and actively demonstrate the UNSW Values in Action: Our Behaviours and the UNSW Code of Conduct.
- Cooperate with all health and safety policies and procedures of the university and take all reasonable care to ensure that your actions or omissions do not impact on the health and safety of yourself or others.
About the successful applicant
To be successful in this role you will have:
- Degree in Mathematics or related discipline.
- Demonstrated strong mathematical background.
- Demonstrated experience in teaching mathematics with recent involvement in teaching mathematics in years 11 and 12.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Interest in promoting mathematical thinking in schools and community.
- An understanding of and commitment to UNSW’s aims, objectives and values in action, together with relevant policies and guidelines.
- Knowledge of health and safety responsibilities and commitment to attending relevant health and safety training
You should systematically address the selection criteria listed within the position description in your application.
Please apply online - applications will not be accepted if sent to the contact listed.
Applications close: October 27th, 2021
Find out more about working at UNSW at www.unsw.edu.au
UNSW aspires to be the exemplar Australian university and employer of choice for people from diverse backgrounds. UNSW aims to ensure equality in recruitment, development, retention and promotion of staff and that no-one is disadvantaged on the basis of their gender, cultural background, disability, sexual orientation or identity or Indigenous heritage. We encourage everyone who meets the selection criteria to apply.
UNSW partners with Australia’s leading diversity organisations, networks, and campaigns. Please refer to UNSW’s diversity offerings for further information on our flexible work and leave options, and support for carers (childcare, parent rooms, parental leave).
Advertised: AUS Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: AUS Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend