Job no: 501827
Work type: Full-time
Location: Sydney, NSW
Categories: Post doctoral research fellow
- One of Australia’s leading research & teaching universities
- Vibrant campus life with a strong sense of community & inclusion
- Enjoy a career that makes a difference by collaborating & learning from the best
At UNSW, we pride ourselves on being a workplace where the best people come to do their best work.
The School of Physics is one of the leading Physics schools in Australia. It offers a world class undergraduate physics degree, as well as a postgraduate PhD research program for over 50 students. 33 academic staff conduct theoretical and experimental research in quantum physics, astrophysics, fundamental physics; and condensed matter physics. UNSW is an international leader in quantum computing research and hosts the ARC Centre for Quantum Computation and Communication Technology. Major nodes of two other ARC Centres: Exciton Science; and Future Low-Energy Electronics Technologies are also based at UNSW.
The Postdoctoral Research Fellow will study spin quantum bits, spin relaxation mechanisms and qubit coupling in p-type quantum dot devices.
About the role
- $97K - $104K plus 17% superannuation and annual leave loading
- Fixed Term – 3 years
- Full-time (35 hours per week)
The role of Postdoctoral Research Fellow reports to Scientia Professor Alexander Hamilton and has no direct reports.
Specific responsibilities for this role include:
- Measure hole spin qubit devices at millikelvin temperatures, develop coherent spin control techniques, and measure spin relaxation times and mechanisms.
- Optimise apparatus for 4K and mK testing of semiconductor quantum dot devices, using DC, EDSR, and fast gate pulse techniques.
- Publish and contribute to publication of research results in leading scientific journals.
- Present research results in national and international conferences and forums.
- Train/assist PhD students in device measurement techniques.
- Align with and actively demonstrate the UNSW Values in Action: Our Behaviours and the UNSW Code of Conduct.
- Cooperate with all health and safety policies and procedures of the university and take all reasonable care to ensure that your actions or omissions do not impact on the health and safety of yourself or others.
About the successful applicant
To be successful in this role you will have:
- A PhD in Science.
- Strong publication record in high quality journals.
- Demonstrated experience with dilution refrigerators and low noise electrical measurement techniques.
- Demonstrated experience with low temperature measurements of quantum devices.
- Experience with RF reflectometry and/or spin resonance techniques an advantage.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as part of a team and independently in a research environment with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Experience in supervising and mentoring undergraduate or postgraduate research students.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- An understanding of and commitment to UNSW’s aims, objectives and values in action, together with relevant policies and guidelines.
- Knowledge of health and safety responsibilities and commitment to attending relevant health and safety training.
You should systematically address the selection criteria listed within the position description in your application.
For details of the research group, projects and facilities see http://www.physics.unsw.edu.au/qed
Please apply online - applications will not be accepted if sent to the contact listed.
Applications close: May 28th, 2021
Find out more about working at UNSW at www.unsw.edu.au
UNSW aspires to be the exemplar Australian university and employer of choice for people from diverse backgrounds. UNSW aims to ensure equality in recruitment, development, retention and promotion of staff and that no-one is disadvantaged on the basis of their gender, cultural background, disability, sexual orientation or identity or Indigenous heritage. We encourage everyone who meets the selection criteria to apply.
UNSW partners with Australia’s leading diversity organisations, networks, and campaigns. Please refer to UNSW’s diversity offerings for further information on our flexible work and leave options, and support for carers (childcare, parent rooms, parental leave).
Advertised: AUS Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: AUS Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend