- One of Australia’s leading research & teaching universities
- Vibrant campus life with a strong sense of community & inclusion
- Enjoy a career that makes a difference by collaborating & learning from the best
At UNSW, we pride ourselves on being a workplace where the best people come to do their best work.
The Faculty of Science teaches approximately 7000 full-time student equivalents, with an academic staff of approximately 500 and general staff of 300. The Faculty is one of the largest and most complex faculties of UNSW Sydney. It comprises the School of Aviation, Biological Earth and Environmental Science (BEES), Biotechnology and Biomolecular Sciences (BABS), Chemistry, Materials Science and Engineering (MSE), Mathematics and Statistics, Optometry and Vision Science (OVS), Psychology, and Physics. It also includes several major Research Centres and field stations.
The Precinct Services is made up of Upper and Lower Campus Stores and Workshops. The team provides a range of research and teaching support services to all Faculties and Divisions, on and off campus through centrally managed procurement services, logistics management (internal and external) and equipment repairs, maintenance, and design.
Precinct Services is designed to achieve alignment between the University’s service offerings and Research and Teaching goals.
About the role
- $75k - $79k plus 17% Superannuation and annual leave loading
- Fixed Term – 8 months
- Full-time (38 hours per week)
The role of Store Person reports to the Precinct Services Manager and has no direct reports.
Specific responsibilities for this role include:
- Assist in the daily operation of the Store as directed by the Precinct Services Manager, this may include specific general or financial administration, specific enquiries, etc.
- Provide excellent customer service including advice to customers on Store products, correct PPE, Store procedures, stock availability and other Store services.
- Receive and receipt deliveries relating to Store inventory, unload and re-stock including correct storage of dangerous goods including general chemicals ensuring correct handling procedures are followed.
- Receive and log UNSW deliveries from external suppliers, ensure the correct storage and handling and prompt dispatch to UNSW customers. Follow strict protocols around specific chemicals, samples and other sensitive deliveries.
- Process internal Store orders in a timely manner, ensure any dangerous goods are labelled barcoded and logged correctly within UNSW’s inventory system.
- Follow strict protocols around specific chemicals, sample and animal deliveries. Assist with large equipment deliveries when required.
- Assist in the coordination of large equipment deliveries for precinct.
- Assist with the maintenance of UNSW’s chemical management system on behalf of the Store ensuring chemicals are logged and disposed of correctly and in accordance with Store operating procedures.
- Follow and contribute to Store procedures, this includes every day operational and Health and Safety.
- Monitor and advise Purchasing Officer on a regular basis on stock levels of goods held in Store to maintain stock at acceptable levels.
- Handle the receival and dispatch of centrally managed services such as laundry and critical samples.
- Maintaining a clean and safe working environment for both staff and customers.
- Assist in stock takes.
- Assist in the procurement of specific/specialist items when requested.
- Offer on the job support assistance to others within the work group.
- Align with and actively demonstrate the UNSW Values in Action: Our Behaviours and the UNSW Code of Conduct.
- Cooperate with all health and safety policies and procedures of the university and take all reasonable care to ensure that your actions or omissions do not impact on the health and safety of yourself or others.
About the successful applicant
To be successful in this role you will have:
- Demonstrated experience in a purchasing and stores environment or other relevant knowledge and experience gained through a combination of education and training.
- Excellent communication, client liaison skills and a commitment to providing high level customer service.
- Good computer skills and competent in the use of Microsoft Office applications with experience in using an online purchasing system and willingness to learn additional software packages.
- Ability to prioritise work tasks and meet deadlines.
- Knowledge in the handling of dangerous goods and demonstrated experience and/or training.
- Ability to work well as part of a team.
- Must hold a NSW high risk work licence.
- Knowledge of health and safety responsibilities and commitment to attending relevant health and safety training.
You should systematically address the selection criteria listed within the position description in your application. For informal queries, please see the below contact details.
Otherwise, please apply online - applications will not be accepted if sent directly to the contact listed.
Applications close: April 20th, 2021
Find out more about working at UNSW at www.unsw.edu.au
UNSW aspires to be the exemplar Australian university and employer of choice for people from diverse backgrounds. UNSW aims to ensure equality in recruitment, development, retention and promotion of staff and that no-one is disadvantaged on the basis of their gender, cultural background, disability, sexual orientation or identity or Indigenous heritage. We encourage everyone who meets the selection criteria to apply.
UNSW partners with Australia’s leading diversity organisations, networks, and campaigns. Please refer to UNSW’s diversity offerings for further information on our flexible work and leave options, and support for carers (childcare, parent rooms, parental leave).