- One of Australia’s leading research & teaching universities
- Vibrant campus life with a strong sense of community & inclusion
- Enjoy a career that makes a difference by collaborating & learning from the best
At UNSW, we pride ourselves on being a workplace where the best people come to do their best work.
The School of Materials Science and Engineering is one of the top ranked Materials programs in the Asia- Pacific regions and strongly positioned in every facet of materials science and engineering. It offers undergraduate programs in Materials Science and Engineering (Honours), as well as a number of combined degree programs with Chemical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering and Commerce. It attracts excellent students who have an outstanding record in international competitions. The School endeavours to create a unique student experience that develops empowered, socially-engaged global citizens. At the postgraduate level, there is a large MSc and PhD research program and a coursework Masters program. Our research mission is to be at the forefront of research into new and exciting innovations with profound national and international impact. Within the School, there is the Centre for Sustainable Materials Research and Technology, the Materials and Manufacturing Futures Institute and ARC Centre of Excellence for Future Low- Energy Electronics Technologies.
For further information about the School, please visit http://www.materials.unsw.edu.au
The Research Assistant will carry out specific tasks related to the support an ARC Discovery project on cellular structure modified porous photonic crystals-based sensing system.
The Research Assistant will be expected to support and contribute to the operation of the lab and presentation of the work at group meetings and conferences.
About the role
- $75K - $85K plus 9.5% superannuation and annual leave loading
- Fixed Term – 18 months
- Full-time (35 hours per week)
The role of Research Assistant reports to Dr. Tushar Kumeria.
Specific responsibilities for this role include:
- Culture cells of different types and undertake extraction for modification of porous photonic crystals.
- Prepare high quality porous photonic crystals and their surface modification.
- Conduct spectroscopic study of receptor-ligand interaction on cellular materials modified photonic crystals.
- Prepare presentations and progress reports.
- Actively contribute to the dissemination of research outcomes, in particular through publication of papers in leading international refereed journals.
- Quality assurance: Responsible for following the relevant quality procedures and processes.
- Liaise effectively with the related School academic and technical staff.
- Perform other appropriate duties as assigned in consultation with the supervisor.
- Align with and actively demonstrate the UNSW Values in Action: Our Behaviours and the UNSW Code of Conduct.
- Cooperate with all health and safety policies and procedures of the university and take all reasonable care to ensure that your actions or omissions do not impact on the health and safety of yourself or others.
About the successful applicant
To be successful in this role you will have:
- A PhD degree in Biomedical Engineering or Materials Science and Engineering or other related field.
- Strong track record in research on cell biology, cellular culture and cellular component extraction, handling of sensitive biomolecules (e.g. proteins, peptides, etc.), surface modification, optical microscopy and spectroscopy, and
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work collaboratively and effectively in a team environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with a high level of attention to detail and the ability to liaise effectively with a range of stakeholders
- Ability to assist in preparation (e.g. data processing, writing, etc.) of journal articles for high-impact journals.
- Ability to present research findings as evidenced by presentations in group meeting and other venues.
- Strong organisational and time management skills including the ability to prioritise multiple tasks and meet competing deadlines by using judgement and initiative
- Knowledge of health and safety responsibilities and commitment to attending relevant health and safety training.
- An understanding of and commitment to UNSW’s aims, objectives and values in action, together with relevant policies and guidelines.
You should systematically address the selection criteria listed within the position description in your application.
Please apply online - applications will not be accepted if sent to the contact listed.
Applications close: January 25th, 2021
Find out more about working at UNSW at www.unsw.edu.au
UNSW aspires to be the exemplar Australian university and employer of choice for people from diverse backgrounds. UNSW aims to ensure equality in recruitment, development, retention and promotion of staff and that no-one is disadvantaged on the basis of their gender, cultural background, disability, sexual orientation or identity or Indigenous heritage. We encourage everyone who meets the selection criteria to apply.
UNSW partners with Australia’s leading diversity organisations, networks, and campaigns. Please refer to UNSW’s diversity offerings for further information on our flexible work and leave options, and support for carers (childcare, parent rooms, parental leave).