Job no: 500968
Work type: Full-time
Location: Sydney, NSW
Categories: Research Administration support, Laboratory Technician
- One of Australia’s leading research & teaching universities
- Vibrant campus life with a strong sense of community & inclusion
- Enjoy a career that makes a difference by collaborating & learning from the best
At UNSW, we pride ourselves on being a workplace where the best people come to do their best work.
The Ramaciotti Centre for Genomics is a national infrastructure facility and a leader in the application and development of genomics in Australia. It is the largest genomics facility at any Australian University and is comprehensively equipped with the latest next-generation sequencing (NGS) technology, with single-cell genomics platforms and with high throughput microarray systems. The Centre’s purpose is to deliver high quality genomic data to its clients and position UNSW as a leader in the field of genomics.
The Research Assistant is responsible for performing library preparation procedures and for implementing new or modified procedures or processes under guidance.
The incumbent will have laboratory experience in molecular biology techniques, along with the ability to work with high sample volumes in a time sensitive work environment.
About the role
- $75K - $85K plus 17% superannuation and annual leave loading
- Fixed Term – 12 months
- Full-time (35 hours per week)
The role of Research Assistant reports to the Research Manager and has no direct reports.
Specific responsibilities for this role include:
- Undertake quality control checks on samples, independently evaluate results and prepare reports for clients.
- Prepare samples for sequencing using a variety of complex methods, both manually and using liquid handling robots.
- Train laboratory personnel in the above techniques as required.
- Log and monitor critical stock levels ensuring resources are available for timely project completion.
- Quality assurance: Responsible for following the relevant quality procedures and processes in accordance with ISO/IEC 17025.
- Perform other appropriate duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Director or Manager of the Centre.
- Align with and actively demonstrate the UNSW Values in Action: Our Behaviours and the UNSW Code of Conduct.
- Implementing the UNSW Health and safety management system within your area of responsibility.
- Cooperate with all health and safety policies and procedures of the university and take all reasonable care to ensure that your actions or omissions do not impact on the health and safety of yourself or others.
About the successful applicant
To be successful in this role you will have:
- Degree in molecular biology, genetics or a related discipline, an Honours degree is preferable.
- A good understanding of the principles of molecular biology.
- Demonstrated laboratory-based work experience using high-throughput molecular biology techniques.
- Ability to manage time effectively to deliver results for concurrent workflows.
- Ability to use initiative and work both independently, as well as part of a team to deliver project outcomes.
- Work experience in an accredited or regulated laboratory is desirable.
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- Knowledge of health and safety responsibilities and commitment to attending relevant health and safety training.
You should systematically address the selection criteria listed within the position description in your application.
Please apply online - applications will not be accepted if sent to the contact listed.
Applications close: January 27th, 2021
Find out more about working at UNSW at www.unsw.edu.au
UNSW aspires to be the exemplar Australian university and employer of choice for people from diverse backgrounds. UNSW aims to ensure equality in recruitment, development, retention and promotion of staff and that no-one is disadvantaged on the basis of their gender, cultural background, disability, sexual orientation or identity or Indigenous heritage. We encourage everyone who meets the selection criteria to apply.
UNSW partners with Australia’s leading diversity organisations, networks, and campaigns. Please refer to UNSW’s diversity offerings for further information on our flexible work and leave options, and support for carers (childcare, parent rooms, parental leave).
Advertised: AUS Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: AUS Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend