UNSW Canberra is a campus of the University of New South Wales located at the Australian Defence Force Academy in Canberra. UNSW Canberra endeavours to offer staff a rewarding experience and offers many opportunities and attractive benefits, including:
- One of Australia’s leading research and teaching universities
- Strong commitment to staff development and learning
- Strong commitment to work life and family balance
- Generous superannuation opportunities
At UNSW, we pride ourselves on being a workplace where the best people come to do their best work.
The School of Engineering and Information Technology (SEIT) offers:
- A flexible, friendly working environment that is well-resourced.
- A chance to deliver research-informed education to undergraduate and graduate students and professionals who will be Australia’s future technology decision makers.
- An opportunity to be part of a school that’s engineering and computing education programs are accredited and globally recognised.
We strongly encourage Women, First Nations and culturally and linguistically diverse candidates to apply. We are committed to providing career progression and support to women in academia.
The School offers programs in electrical, mechanical, aeronautical, and civil engineering as well as in aviation, information technology and cyber security to graduates and professionals who will be Australia’s future technology decision makers.
About the Role:
The Research Associate will work closely within a multidisciplinary team consisting of biologists, roboticists and engineers working on both understanding the aerial behaviour of insects as well as developing flight control strategies for flying robots.
The position will involve research activity aimed at applying theories on how insects navigate through cluttered environments using vision to unmanned systems such as drones. The RA will be responsible for carrying forward preliminary work conducted, and support the design and development of the robotic experiments and simulations. The Research Associate will work closely within a multidisciplinary team consisting of biologists, roboticists and engineers working on both understanding the aerial behaviour of insects as well as developing flight control strategies for flying robots. The applicant will ideally have skills in machine vision and/or robot control.
Role: Research Associate in Biologically Inspired Robotics
Salary: Academic Level A $99,325 - $106, 237 plus 17% Superannuation
Term: Full time, Fixed Term appointment up to 2 years
Our Ideal Candidate:
To be successful in this role you will:
- Hold a Ph.D. degree or equivalent in a robotics or control systems related discipline;
- Experience in programming with languages such as C/C++ or Python;
- A demonstrated ability to conduct simulations and experiments with autonomous systems;
- A record of papers in high quality journals and/or conferences of high ranking in the field;
- Demonstrated ability to work as a member of a multi-disciplinary team showing initiative and taking direction as appropriate to the situation.
How to apply:
In your application, please upload a 2-page pitch addressing the Skills and Experience outlined in the Position Description. In order to view the Position Description – please ensure that you allow pop-ups for Jobs@UNSW Portal.
The successful candidate will be required to undertake pre-employment checks prior to commencement in this role. The checks that will be undertaken are listed in the Position Description. You will not be required to provide any further documentation or information regarding the checks until directly requested by UNSW.
The position is located in Canberra, ACT. The successful candidate will be required to work from the UNSW Canberra campus. To be successful you will hold Australian Working Rights or Australian Citizenship. Visa sponsorship is not available for this appointment.
For further information about UNSW Canberra, please visit our website: UNSW Canberra
Professor Matt Garratt
P: (02) 5114 5150
Dr Sridhar Ravi
P: (02) 5114 5200
Applications Close: 20 July 2022 11:30pm, AEST
Find out more about working at UNSW Canberra
UNSW aspires to be the exemplar Australian university and employer of choice for people from diverse backgrounds. UNSW aims to ensure equality in recruitment, development, retention and promotion of staff and that no-one is disadvantaged on the basis of their gender, cultural background, disability, sexual orientation or identity or Indigenous heritage. We encourage everyone who meets the selection criteria to apply.
UNSW partners with Australia’s leading diversity organisations, networks, and campaigns. Please refer to UNSW’s diversity offerings for further information on our flexible work and leave options.
Any questions about the application process - please email email@example.com