- One of Australia’s leading research & teaching universities
- Vibrant campus life with a strong sense of community & inclusion
- Enjoy a career that makes a difference by collaborating & learning from the best
At UNSW, we pride ourselves on being a workplace where the best people come to do their best work.
THIS ROLE IS LOCATED IN SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA.
THERE ARE X3 ROLES AVAILABLE.
The School of Mathematics and Statistics currently has more than sixty continuing academic staff and more than thirty research staff as well as visiting academics. UNSW is the only university in Australia to be ranked in the top 100 in the world in Mathematics and Statistics by each of the four ranking bodies: CWTS Leiden, ARWU, USNews, QS. The School's research groups are interconnected, with frequent interactions between groups and with other schools and faculties both within and outside UNSW. The School is currently expanding its teaching and research programs in Data Science. The School is affiliated with the newly established UNSW Data Science Hub which is a major strategic initiative of the Faculty of Science to cultivate and promote foundational and applied research in Data Science.
The Research Associate in Data Science will conduct research in this specialised field and align with existing research strengths in the faculty in one or more of foundations of data science, environmental data science, physical data science or health data science.
The Research Associate will conduct and strengthen research collaborations with industry and other external partners and support the development of new partnerships. The Research Associate may have the opportunity to contribute to teaching activities in Data Science and Statistics across a range of undergraduate and postgraduate courses. The Research Associate will work as part of the UNSW Data Science Hub to assist the Director to achieve the overall aims of the Hub which include research excellence, and engagement with the community and industry to establish and consolidate links in Data Science.
About the role
- $96k - $128k - plus 17% Superannuation and leave loading
- Fixed Term – 2.5 years
- Full-time (35 hours per week)
The role of Research Associate reports to the Director, UNSW Data Science Hub, and has no direct reports.
Specific responsibilities for this role include:
- Perform research in Data Science with a view to publication in influential and high-impact scholarly journals.
- Lead and support research collaborations with industry, government, and other external partners, and support the development of new research partnerships.
- Work both collaboratively and independently on research grant proposals and applications to national competitive grant agencies and other funding bodies.
- Develop research collaborations within the Faculty as well as links with other groups on campus and with industry.
- Coordinate research activities and participate in the setting of future research directions of relevant projects.
- Actively disseminate research findings at seminars and conferences within the Faculty, the UNSW environment, nationally and internationally.
- Supervise Honours and Masters coursework projects, and co-supervise HDR students.
- Contribute to the design and delivery of the School’s face-to-face teaching programs and courses if appropriate.
- Effectively engage with the broader scholarly community.
- Undertake administrative duties as specified by the Director and as required.
- Align with and actively demonstrate the UNSW Values in Action: Our Behaviours and the UNSW Code of Conduct.
- Cooperate with all health and safety policies and procedures of the university and take all reasonable care to ensure that your actions or omissions do not impact on the health and safety of yourself or others.
Level B (in addition to the above)
- Develop research collaborations nationally and internationally.
- Develop and deliver introductory short courses in Data Science to applied researchers and practitioners.
- Provide guidance and mentoring for less experienced team members.
- Contribute to research improvement processes and initiatives that enable the team to manage the work of the Data Science Hub.
- Develop collaborations in larger scale research projects.
About the successful applicant
To be successful in this role you will have:
- PhD or equivalent qualification in relevant mathematical sciences.
- Demonstrated research ability in Data Science.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct research with other researchers in the Faculty.
- Evidence of research group collaborations.
- Demonstrated capacity to conduct productive research at an international level.
- Demonstrated capacity to interact successfully with stakeholders, industry and professional organisations.
- Strong publication record in top, peer-reviewed journals, relative to opportunity.
- A capacity to attract and effectively supervise research students.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent leadership skills, including competence in modelling behaviours that align with the
- University’s values and the ability to foster these in staff, students and the broader University community.
- An understanding of and commitment to UNSW’s aims, objectives and values in action, together with relevant policies and guidelines.
- Knowledge of health and safety responsibilities and commitment to attending relevant health and safety training.
Level B (in addition to the above)
- Prior experience working in a similar role within a multi-disciplinary research organisation or centre.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively instruct applied researchers on statistical techniques in a short course setting and develop material for short courses.
- Experience reviewing grants and/or journal articles.
- A strong inter-disciplinary publication record including publications in statistical methodology journals.
You should systematically address the selection criteria listed within the position description in your application.
Please apply online - applications will not be accepted if sent to the contact listed.
Applications close: March 16th, 2021
Find out more about working at UNSW at www.unsw.edu.au
UNSW aspires to be the exemplar Australian university and employer of choice for people from diverse backgrounds. UNSW aims to ensure equality in recruitment, development, retention and promotion of staff and that no-one is disadvantaged on the basis of their gender, cultural background, disability, sexual orientation or identity or Indigenous heritage. We encourage everyone who meets the selection criteria to apply.
UNSW partners with Australia’s leading diversity organisations, networks, and campaigns. Please refer to UNSW’s diversity offerings for further information on our flexible work and leave options, and support for carers (childcare, parent rooms, parental leave).