UNSW Canberra is a faculty of the University of New South Wales located at the Australian Defence Force Academy in Canberra. UNSW Canberra endeavours to provide staff with rewarding experiences and offers many opportunities and attractive benefits including:
- One of Australia’s leading research and teaching universities
- Strong commitment to staff development and learning
- Strong commitment to work life and family balance
- Generous superannuation
At UNSW, we pride ourselves on being a workplace where the best people come to do their best work.
As part of the UNSW 2025 Strategic Plan, the UNSW Defence Research Institute (DRI) was established at UNSW Canberra to stimulate, unify and support defence-related research within the UNSW community while striving to build and maintain a network across both Australian and international defence industries. The DRI is now seeking a capable Business Development Associate to work with academic, industry and government partners to develop effective defence-related research partnerships.
The Business Development Associate–Defence will:
- be part of a high-performing team working to connect academia, defence and industry to advance defence capability
- work with talented and capable colleagues across UNSW
- be supported to thrive and excel in the role.
About the Role:
Role: Business Development Associate–Defence
Salary: Broadband Level 7/8
Level 7: $98,354 – $106,449 plus 17% Superannuation
Level 8: $ 109,944- $123,876 plus 17% Superannuation
Term: Full Time (35hrs), Fixed Term, 2 years
About the Successful Applicant
To be successful in this role you will:
- Have experience working in large complex organisations
- Have a strong interest in enabling defence-related research collaborations with university, industry and government partners
- Build strong relationships and collaborate effectively with internal and external stakeholders
- Have business acumen, negotiation skills, and experience with r commercial and contracting mechanisms
- Have the ability to develop project plans, project budgets and research proposals
- Have excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Hold or be eligible to hold an Australian Government security clearance.
In your application, please upload your CV and a 2-page pitch addressing the Skills and Experience outlined in the Position Description. Your pitch may be in the form of a 2-page written document, 2-slide presentation or 2-minute video*.
Please clearly indicate the level you are applying for within the first sentence of your pitch. If you are applying for the Level 7 role, please address the Level 7 Skills and Experience in your pitch. If you are applying for the Level 8 role, please address all Skills and Experiences for both the Level 7 and Level 8 role in your pitch.
In order to view the Position Description – please ensure that you allow pop-ups for Jobs@UNSW Portal.
*If you would like to submit the 2-minute video, please email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The successful candidate will be required to undertake pre-employment checks prior to commencement in this role. The checks that will be undertaken are listed in the Position Description. You will not be required to provide any further documentation or information regarding the checks until directly requested by UNSW.
The successful candidate will be required to work from the UNSW Canberra (ADFA/City campus) in Canberra, ACT. To be successful you will hold Australian Working Rights or Australian Citizenship. Visa sponsorship is not available for this appointment.
For further information about UNSW Canberra, please visit UNSW Canberra.
For further information about the UNSW Defence Research Institute, please visit https://dri.unsw.edu.au/
Mick Cook, Business Development Manager, UNSW Defence Research Institute
Applications Close: Monday 01 November 11:30PM
At UNSW Canberra, we celebrate diversity and understand the benefits that inclusion brings to the university. We strongly encourage everyone who is interested in the role and meets the selection criteria to apply. This role would particularly suit transitioning veterans.
Any questions about the application process - please email email@example.com.